Monday, April 22, 2013

The Dickie Name

In real life, the character of Dickie was named after the show's creator and Executive Producer Dick Wolf.
In reel life, the character of Dickie was named after Elliot's hero, astronaut Colonel Dick Finley.
Dickie's real full name is Richard.
Granted, both of those reasons make sense to name the character...
Honestly, in my opinion, the nick name Dickie (especially for a little boy/teenager) should never be used. It should be banned. Why? Well...it's pretty vulgar. There's been quite a number of times that I care to admit that whenever I hear that name I burst into immature giggles. I can understand it being a nickname of the ages- it seemed to be the nickname of Richard in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s. There's respectable actors like Dick Van Dyke or Dick Van Patten (both born in the 1920s) that can get away with it. I do have an older Uncle by marriage as well as an older cousin (who was born in the late 1950s) called Dick as well. I don't burst into immature giggles with these gentlemen. But in this modern day age of 2000s you just can't go there. In season 10's Lunacy, when Dickie declared that he now wanted to be called Dick I was just flabbergasted. Even to this day whenever the repeat of the episode is aired, I cringe. I try to mute that part as fast as I can. It's like nails on the chalkboard. Thankfully the next season that Dickie came back in Turmoil, he must have realized the consequences (or the writer of the episode thought/felt the same way I did) and wanted to be called Richard despite Elliot's "you're name is Dickie!" protests.

No comments:

Post a Comment